For children, emotional wellbeing is just as important as physical health.
Good mental health means children can develop the inner strength to cope with whatever life throws at them and grow into well-rounded, healthy adults.
Even though most children and young people grow up mentally healthy, more of them have problems with their mental health today than they did 30 years ago.
Children can have mental health issues. Like everyone else, they have to learn how to handle the pressures of modern life. But many children and young people don’t get enough help when they are young. Many don’t realise the power of talking about their feelings
Here is a list of things that can help keep children and young people mentally strong and healthy:
- Eating a good, balanced diet
- Regular exercise
- Having time and freedom to play
- Being part of a loving family
- Going to a school that looks after the wellbeing of all its pupils
- Taking part in activities for young people.
There are other things that they can get from the people around them.
- Love trust, understanding and safety
- Having the opportunity to enjoy life
- Hopemand optimism
- Learning and succeeding
- Accepting who they are
- Having a sense of belonging in their family
- School and community
- Having the strength to cope when something is wrong and being able to solve problems.
How do you feel now?